Where Can America Compete?
Netscape founder Marc Andreessen has some suggestions, including:
* Innovation and entrepreneurialism — anything new we tend to be really good at
* Software design
* Advanced chip design (CPUs, 3D accelerators, etc.)
* Networking systems design
* Agriculture (!!! — we are an exporter)
* Advanced manufacturing (technologically sophisticated manufacturing — US manufacturing output is up 40% in the last 10 years because we are so good at this)
Again, thanks to Alex Tabarrok for the pointer.
For Discussion. Are any of the fields listed by Andreessen (note–I have quoted only a few of them above) fields where the U.S. does not have a comparative advantage, even if we might have an absolute advantage?