The Real Concentration of Power
By Arnold Kling
In 2010, a tiny cabal of 535 individuals — just 0.00017% of the population — spent $3.5 trillion, or about 23% of the $14.5 trillion U.S. economy. That leaves 77% for the other 99.99983% of us.
… the members of Congress wield 20 to 25 times more economic power than the same number of richest private citizens in the country.
I made a similar point in the widely-unread Unchecked and Unbalanced.