1. How does Roberts define economics, and how does this differ from other definitions in is use today?
2. How does Roberts distinguish between "selfishness" and "self-interest," and why does he regard this distinction as so important?
3. How do economics and psychology relate, and to what extent is "homo-economicus a sociopath?" Explain.
4. Roberts asserts that Adam Smith's real contribution regarding man's conscience is not in how it works, but where it comes from. What does he mean by that? How does this compare to the way you would define conscience?
5. What are some examples of what Munger calls "black box" violations, and how does Smith help us understand how we react to them? Would you ever confront a stranger behaving badly? Explain.
The cuneiform inscription in the Liberty Fund logo is the earliest-known written appearance of the word "freedom" (amagi), or "liberty." It is taken from a clay document written about 2300 B.C. in the Sumerian city-state of Lagash.