Live Chat Highlight: A 4-Minute Reply to Will
By Bryan Caplan
Here’s my favorite part from today’s WSJ Live Chat:
Ideas Market blog, Will Wilkinson argues that your argument really only
applies to a narrow range of people:
- middle-and-upper class couples who
- already have at least one child,
- are on the fence about having another one,
- have been overestimating the costs of an additional child, and
- have the right personalities to effectively practice “serenity parenting.”
Can you reply to him?
First thing: There are *far* more people who fall in Will’s “narrow
range” than the audiences Will and I usually write for.
Will’s understating the range. Plenty of people who *like* kids still
avoid having any because they think the sacrifice is too high.
The “fence” is pretty wide. I’m not showing parents how to save a few
minutes a week. I’m showing them how to save hours – and enjoy the rest
Fourth: Since the nature-nurture evidence is very poorly publicized, I think almost everyone overestimates the cost.
Serenity Parenting isn’t either/or. It appeals to some people more than
others, but anyone can move in a serene direction. 🙂